A head-on collision can be deadly for those involved, and if you or a loved one has been a victim of such an accident, you may be advised to hire a top motor vehicle accident lawyer Hyattsville MD provides to recover your costs. The lawyers of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. have helped many personal injury victims receive the maximum in compensatory damages. Our legal team is available 24/7 and offers a free initial consultation to review your case.
A negligent driver who causes a head-on collision can cause catastrophic injuries to innocent victims. If you need a motor vehicle accident lawyer Hyattsville MD accident victims recommend, contact our office immediately. And while we want to be there for every accident victim, we’d also like to offer some insight that may help you stay safe and avoid head-on collisions.
Common Causes of Head-On Collisions
When a head-on collision occurs, it often results in fatalities. In 2005, head-on collisions accounted for only 2.0% of all accidents in the United States but were responsible for 10.1% of all fatal collisions. Head-on vehicle accidents are often caused by one of the following:
- Distracted drivers. Drivers can be distracted by any number of things including using their cell phone, adjusting the radio, or even talking with a passenger in their vehicle. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration blames distracted drivers for causing 18 percent of all injury accidents in 2010.
- Drunk drivers. When they leave their lane and cross over into oncoming traffic, it can be impossible for the other driver to avoid them, particularly in heavy traffic or at high speeds. A motor vehicle accident lawyer Hyattsville MD provides can investigate a head-on collision and determine from the police report and other documentation or evidence if the at-fault driver was intoxicated at the time of the accident.
- Fatigued drivers. Falling asleep at the wheel can be deadly when the driver crosses a road or highway and causes a head-on collision. Even drivers who are simply drowsy can lose control of their vehicles or drive the wrong way on a one-way street or off-ramp.
- Speeding drivers. Drivers who are traveling over the speed limit can be especially dangerous when they speed through a curve or lose control while in the turn. Many fatal head-on collisions occur under these circumstances.
- Unsafe passers. Another common cause of fatal head-on collisions are drivers who attempt to pass another vehicle by entering the oncoming lane of traffic. By recreating the scene and events at the time of the accident, a motor vehicle accident lawyer Hyattsville MD clients turn to in similar cases may be able to determine if the at-fault driver was negligent while passing another vehicle.
Common Head-On Collision Injuries
When two cars are poised to be involved in a head-on collision, there is no clear-cut rule for avoidance. Should each driver turn left? Turn right? Slow, serve, attempt to stop? It becomes even more complicated when other vehicles, pedestrians, or obstructions such as buildings, curbs, or concrete barriers are present. Common injuries include:
- Spinal cord or back injuries resulting in paralysis
- Traumatic brain injury or brain damage
- Dislocated discs
- Neck injury causing permanent pain, fatality, or paralysis
- Broken or fractured bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Amputated limbs
- Internal organ damage
Some injuries require longer, more complicated, and more expensive treatment for recovery and rehabilitation. Some injuries will never heal completely and will be accompanied by lifelong pain. Victims of head-on collisions, if they do not suffer fatal injury, may never recover full use of their body. They may suffer from lifelong depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder which may be taken into account by a motor vehicle accident lawyer in Hyattsville MD.
The at-fault driver should be held responsible for causing your physical injuries, loss of income, damage to your property, and for pain and suffering. Loved ones of head-on collision fatalities can be compensated by pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit. An experienced Hyattsville MD motor vehicle accident lawyer can represent victims as well as loved ones who lost a family member in a head-on collision. The rights of personal injury victims should be protected and the legal team of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. has a proud record of accomplishing this. If you’re in need of a motor vehicle accident lawyer Hyattsville MD residents turn to, call us at Cohen and Cohen, P.C. today.