When a distracted driver collides with your vehicle and their negligence results in you suffering a personal injury, it may be in your best interest to contact a motor vehicle accident lawyer Lanham MD provides. The lawyers of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. have helped tens of thousands of personal injury victims settle claims and recover compensation for their losses. Our legal team has also won numerous high-dollar lawsuits for clients who were injured by negligent drivers. Call our office today if you’re in need of legal representation and justice for your suffering and damages.
Every year, distracted drivers are held responsible for causing vehicles accidents that result in extensive property damage, injuries, and even fatalities. Many innocent drivers have turned to a motor vehicle accident lawyer Lanham MD offers in order to recover their costs after a collision. The following information may help you avoid becoming a statistic due to the negligence of drivers who allow themselves to be distracted at the cost of others.
Distracted Driving is all too Common
Drivers can be distracted by any number of tasks or environmental factors. The nature of the distraction, and its duration, can greatly affect its impact on safety. As an example, if a driver is travelling 55 mph and is only looking at their cell phone to write or read a text message for approximately five seconds, they can travel the entire length of a football field without once looking up. During that time they can collide with another vehicle, veer off the roadway, or lose control of their vehicle with tragic results. A motor vehicle accident lawyer Lanham MD victims trust can often prove the other driver was distracted while behind the wheel.
Texting or talking on the phone is not limited to teenage drivers. Many experienced and older drivers can be just as guilty. Despite the many public campaigns discouraging the use of phones while driving, many injuries and fatalities occur around the country every year due to their distracting effect on drivers. In addition to the use of cell phones, drivers are often distracted by one or more of the following:
- Engaging in conversations with passengers
- Performing grooming tasks such as shaving, brushing hair, applying makeup
- Reading maps, GPS devices, books, newspapers
- Drinking beverages and/or eating
- Watching a video
- Adjusting controls for the radio, MP3 player, or CD player
- “Rubbernecking” or looking at unrelated accident scenes
Proving Negligence on the Part of the Distracted Driver
When it can be proven that a distracted driver was negligent in their actions which resulted in an accident causing you injury, they can be held responsible. A Lanham MD motor vehicle accident lawyer can then pursue a claim against their insurance company. Negligence can be proven by any or all of the following means by a motor vehicle accident lawyer Lanham MD respects:
- Submitting phone records that show the driver was using their phone at the time of the accident
- Obtaining copies of the text messages that show the date and time matches up with when the accident occurred
- Witness testimony of what the driver was doing in the moments leading up to the accident
- Debit card or credit card receipts of fast food purchases prior to the accident and the trash remnants in the vehicle that can prove the driver was eating while driving
- The absence of tire marks on the pavement which can indicate the driver didn’t use their brakes because they were distracted while driving
An experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer in Lanham MD can make a case for why the other driver was negligent. Their negligence can make them responsible for paying you for your damages including medical costs, lost wages, vehicle repairs or replacement, and much more. If you have been injured by a distracted driver, contact the legal firm of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. One of our attorneys can provide you with a free case review. When you need a motor vehicle accident lawyer Lanham MD drivers depend on, call us at 301-760-3296 without delay.