When a fatigued driver causes an accident that results in your injury, a motor vehicle accident lawyer Wheaton MD drivers recommend for negotiating accident claims may be of benefit. At the legal firm of Cohen and Cohen, P.C., our attorneys have helped injured accident victims for more than 20 years. We have recovered millions of dollars on their behalf and we can help you too. If you have been injured due to the negligence of a fatigued driver, contact us immediately. A Cohen and Cohen, P.C. motor vehicle accident lawyer in Wheaton MD can answer your questions and address any concerns.
If you have not been the victim of a negligent fatigued driver, the following information may help you to avoid becoming an accident statistic. A driver who has fallen asleep behind the wheel or is in the process of nodding off can injure or kill not only themselves and any occupants of their vehicle, but also other drivers and their passengers.
The Results of Driving While Fatigued
An experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer Wheaton MD turns to for help is all too aware of the price paid by victims of accidents caused by fatigued drivers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that driver fatigue is responsible for the following statistics every year:
- Approximately 100,000 accidents across the country
- An average of 1,550 fatalities in the US
- A yearly average of 71,000 injuries
- An estimated $12.5 billion in damages
Common Causes of Accidents Due to Fatigued Drivers
After an accident, a motor vehicle accident lawyer Wheaton MD drivers rely on for recovering their damages can recreate an accident to determine the cause. Very often it’s one of the following when it involves a fatigued driver:
- The driver’s vehicle crosses into oncoming traffic
- The driver’s vehicle drifts into an adjoining lane and collides with another vehicle
- The driver’s vehicle rear-ends another vehicle
Common Risk Factors for Driving While Fatigued
Who is most likely to drive when they are too tired to safely operate their vehicle? Anyone is at risk, but statistics show that the following groups are most at risk:
- Young males under the age of 30. The National Highway Transportation Safety Board (NHTSB) reported in a 1995 study that this group was involved in nearly two-thirds of all fatigued driving accidents.
- Shift workers. The NHTSB reported in a 1992 study that this group slept approximately 1.5 hours less than afternoon workers in the same 24-hour timeframe.
- Untreated sufferers of narcolepsy, insomnia and sleep apnea. An experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer Wheaton MD provides can discover if a driver has documented difficulties with either of these conditions.
- Those who use sedative medications including antihistamines.
A Wheaton MD Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer Who Makes a Difference
If you have been the victim of a fatigued driver and suffered a personal injury as a result, you may deserve to be compensated for your medical costs, property damage, and lost wages as well as for your pain and suffering. An attorney with the legal firm of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. wants to help you get compensatory damages from the negligent driver. To arrange a free consultation with a motor vehicle accident lawyer Wheaton MD is proud to have in its community, contact us today.